Healing a Nickel Allergy Rash

I realize that some of you out there have an allergy rash right now, or have a new piercing you need to manage carefully.

I will pass on the most sound advice I have read. Please keep in mind that I am not a  professional in skin care, but have read some useful things manage my own allergy.   I would like to pass some things along, and hope it will help you.  By the way, if something you are doing seems to be hurting your skin, stop, and consult your doctor.

I will speak as though the rash you have has been caused by earrings, though this will work on other areas as well.

First of all, if you have a nickel allergy rash stop wearing the item that seems to irritate it. If you continue to wear nickel-containing items when you are allergic to it, you can actually make your allergy more severe.

Then, examine your daily cleaning and beauty regimen. Don't get any soaps, dyes, hairsprays, make-up or other chemical substances on your ears. This can make a rash worse. Also if your rash itches, don't touch or scratch it.

One thing I have read about in multiple sources that can help promote healing is a solution of Natural Sea Salt.  (Do not use ordinary table salt.)  Put about 1/8 of a teaspoon (a pinch will do) in about 3 ounces of hot water, and apply it with a clean, soft cloth. You can also put it in a small spray bottle and squirt it. Do this 2 or 3 times a day until the irritation is better. For a new piercing about once a day should be fine.

Other products that may work for you are:

  • Vaseline
  • AD&D Ointment
  • Pure Coconut Oil
  • Tea Tree Oil
  • Emu Oil
  • H2Ocean
  • Saline Solution

When you clean your ears do NOT use rubbing alcohol. Alcohol dries the skin out and makes it more prone to infections.  Many of the over-the-counter solutions that are handed to people with new piercings do contain alcohol, so read labels and use your common sense.

Other products you should not use include:

  • Hydrogen Peroxide
  • Glyoxide
  • Antibacterial Ointments 

After the itching has improved, just use plain water to wash your earlobes, front and back, with a clean soft cloth. In addition, I have read that cotton balls, q-tips, or paper towels, can actually introduce new allergens to your ears, so it is better to avoid them if possible. If your ears get wet, dab them dry with a soft clean cloth - don't let them air dry since this also dries out the skin too much.

Do keep in mind that although nickel is a common allergen, it is possible that you are allergic to another metal, or some other aspect of your personal care including your shampoo, soap, hairspray, or laundry detergent.  It is also possible that no matter whether a metal has nickel in it or not, that any alloy will cause a reaction for you.  This is an aspect of allergies I have not fully discussed yet, but sometimes two dissimilar metals will cause a reaction, even if you are not allergic to either one by itself.

Stick to pure metals, and clean your wound with fresh water.

Hopefully, your new routine, along with removing or replacing the original item that caused the allergy will help your skin regain its original health.

Credits:
http://www.wear-earrings-again.com/caresheet.html
http://tattoo.about.com/cs/beginners/l/blpiercingtlc.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Am I allergic to my Trumpet?

Caring for Argentium Sterling Silver Jewelry

"Mom, I'm allergic to my braces"