I'm on a Roll - Spiral Post Earrings

I'm on a roll . . . I love making post earrings and am pleased I've discovered a place to get Titanium posts and pads to attach to stones, but . . . Still, I have wished for a way to do it myself. 

Blue Bell Glass Niobium Spiral Post Earrings

With the help of my jewelry tumbler, I can now toughen my wire enough to make a neat spiral post that is strong enough to hold up to regular use, and even hold a beautiful beaded dangle on it. I was pretty distressed when I found out that the Argentium Sterling Silver posts with a loop were not available from my supplier. Well, at least it left me wondering what to do next. Argentium is still unusual enough to use, that specific "findings" in this precious metal can be, well, hard to find. There isn't automatically a replacement when somebody stops carrying something. 

Canadian Jade Argentium Silver Spiral Post Earrings

So what's a jewelry artist to do? Well, make it herself, of course. I will probably discover a variety of ways to make post earrings now that I have started, but this simple spiral design leads to so many interesting possibilities. I hope you enjoy what I have done with them. The backs I am using are simple, but effective - I have some soft plastic bullet clutches that hold securely and work just fine.  

Shell Spiral Niobium Post Earrings

Post earrings are just plain useful. There are times when dangles are impractical, so you would want to have a pair of simple spiral earrings like those below on hand, just so you know you'll have something to wear (and keep those ear holes open!) each day. 

In addition, did you know that for about the first 4 to 6 months after you get a new piercing, it is better for your healing process to stick to using straight posts and/or very light weight earrings? This is significantly longer than the 6 to 8 weeks that is generally recommended for the original healing process, before you can safely change earrings. The reason to wait so long to wear heavier earrings is that as your piercing firms up, the shape of the piercing heals "straight" rather than "curved" and maintains its shape better over the years. You can wear lightweight French hook earrings some days during this time, but it is still best to revert to post earrings for regular use, and at night. What you would like to avoid is to have your piercings become "elongated" so that instead of a neat little dot-piercing, you have more of a slit in your earlobe that never hangs quite right. This can also occur from wearing earrings over the years that are just too heavy. 

Simple Niobium Spiral Stud Earrings

I tried a spiral post like this over a year ago, and I was so tickled with the design. However my enthusiasm had to wait, because in order to make these in a thin enough wire to go through your earhole and to wrap neatly, the wire, even the niobium, was just not strong enough not to become a little "spring" when I pulled the earring back off.  I knew there must be a way to make this work, but have not been able to do it until I got my wire tumbler a couple of months ago. 

Stay tuned, because I am still in the middle of posting these earrings to my shops for you to buy. Also, if you are coming to the Valley Junction Fall Art Market next Sunday (Sept 16) I'll have these (and everything else) there for you to see for yourself.

So all my tinkering and hankering for new tools results in more choices for you . . . which is my favorite thing of all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Am I allergic to my Trumpet?

Caring for Argentium Sterling Silver Jewelry

"Mom, I'm allergic to my braces"