Brag Book #2 | Double Hoop Niobium Earrings

I have been accused of making "too many earrings" compared to other forms of jewelry. Nevertheless, they continue to fascinate me. I love working with beads, but I become really thrilled when I can create something that's entirely wire, and is satisfying and complete in and of itself. 

Double Hoop Niobium Dangle Earrings
These terrific earrings are simply a loop suspended inside a larger loop, but the movement and the effect of the light against the metal is quite fun. I have anodized these in a very short spectrum - it is dark to light pink, with just a hint of gold. It is the kind of color that is there for the observer to discover.  I find that this "color discovery" is really at the heart of what is fun about wearing jewelry, whether, it is an opal, a faceted crystal, or anodized niobium.

This pair of earrings is 2.25 inches long (6 cm), and are still available in my shop. And by the way, if you want me to make you these earrings in a different color, I can do that. 

I love niobium as a medium, not only because of its strength and workability, but because of all the color options it presents. The basic color for niobium resembles steel gray - and this really is a great color for jewelry, distinct and different from it's brighter cousin, silver. But when I began to be able to anodize my own niobium in-shop, the world changed for me. Granted, I am still learning all of the possibilities of this amazing process, but to be able to start with gray metal and choose colors from such a wide range, well it just makes me happy. 

The colors of anodized niobium are not flat, they actually shift slightly according to the way the light catches the surface of the jewelry. When I subject the metal to an electric current, niobium oxide forms on the surface of the metal. The exact voltage that I give it, affects the thickness of that layer. Niobium oxide is perfectly clear, but it changes how the light refracts from the metal, and so creates the color your eye sees. 

I do go on about anodizing ... maybe to much. But if you're curious and want to learn more, just check out the info page I've written on this subject, along with color charts showing what is possible.

Have a colorful day.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Am I allergic to my Trumpet?

Caring for Argentium Sterling Silver Jewelry

"Mom, I'm allergic to my braces"